Advisory Council on Transportation Statistics
BTS Job Vacancies and Internships
Laws and Regulations
Statistical Policy and Research
BTS Press Room
Upcoming Press Releases
Data and Statistics
Airline Traffic Data
Air Fares Data
Airline On-Time Data
Border Crossing/Entry Data
Commodity Flow Survey
Freight Data and Statistics
Intermodal Passenger Connectivity Database
National Census of Ferry Operators
North American Transborder Freight
Other Data and Statistics
Order a Print Publication
Aviation and Airline Reports
National Transportation Library (NTL)
Special Reports/Issue Briefs
Transportation Trends in Focus
Aviation and Airline Data
Economics and Finance
Energy and Environment
Trending and Forecasting
American Public Transportation Association
Association of American Railroads
Federal Highway Administration Publications and Statistics
Journey to Work (Census Bureau)
International Transport Forum
Marine Transportation System Data
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Federal Transit Administration National Transit Database
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Transport Data
Transportation/ Government Websites
Search this site:
Data Release History
International and Domestic Tarmac Times by Year, Partial Year or Month
Data begins with August 2011. Data available through
November 2014 Please limit search using dropdowns to a single calendar year.
This page has tarmac times for all domestic flights and all international flights to and from the United States (U.S. airports only). For tarmac times since 1995 for domestic flights operated by large airlines, see
Domestic Tarmac Times
Note: For detailed monthly summary for a single year, click on the link for the year.
View tarmac times by
Stage of Operation
Prior To Cancellation
Multiple Gate Departure
At Diversion Airport
Note: August 2011 is the first month in which data included reports for all domestic flights and all international flights to and from the United States (U.S. airports only), beginning Aug. 23. July 2011 was the last full month in which data included only domestic flights operated by airlines reporting on-time data to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. For tarmac times of 180 minutes or less, data are for only domestic flights operated by airlines reporting on-time data to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and do not include domestic flights operated by carriers that do not report on-time data or international flights. For more details on the reporting change, see
Tarmac Time Data Q&A.
Note: Reporting changes due to mergers. Joint reporting begins after Federal Aviation Administration approval of a single operating certificate.
* Jan. 2006: US Airways (US) and America West (HP) start to report combined on-time data in January 2006 as US Airways (US).
* Oct. 2007: US Airways (US) and America West (HP) start to report combined traffic and financial data as US Airways (US).
* Jan. 2010: Delta (DL) and Northwest (NW) start to report jointly as Delta (DL).
* Jan. 2011: Continental Micronesia (CS) and Continental Airlines (CO) start to report jointly as Continental Airlines (CO).
* Jan. 2012: United (UA) and Continental (CO) start to report jointly as United (UA).
* Jan. 2012: Atlantic Southeast (EV) and ExpressJet (XE) start to report jointly as ExpressJet (EV). For data through December 2011, use the code EV for Atlantic Southeast, which will be displayed as (EV) ExpressJet, and the code XE for ExpressJet, which will be displayed as (XE) ExpressJet (1). Beginning with January 2012 data, use the code EV for ExpressJet.
Explanation of Stage of Operation
Prior to Cancellation: Flight left the gate but was cancelled at the origin airport
Multiple Gate Departure: Flight left the gate, then returned and then left again to resume normal operation. Tarmac time is the time before the return to the gate.
Taxi-out: The time between gate departure and wheels-off
Taxi-in: The time between wheels-on and gate arrival
At Diversion Airport: The tarmac time at the alternate airport
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Research and Technology (OST-R)
U.S. Department of Transportation (US DOT)
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE • Washington, DC 20590 • 800.853.1351 •
Freedom of Information Act
No FEAR Act
OST-R's privacy policies and procedures do not necessarily apply to external web sites. We suggest contacting these sites directly for information on their data collection and distribution policies.